No matter what you desire, inner skills are essential to get you there. Why is that? It’s because, the results in your life are directly related to your inner state–your intentions, thoughts, and feelings–and how these inspire you to take action.
What you bring to life from the inside determines what you receive from life on the outside. To change your life in the direction you desire, you must align your inner state with what you truly want. You can achieve this through meditation.
Let’s talk about five inner skills that you develop through meditation practice. Developing these skills may be the single most important thing you can do to become a powerful co-creator in your life.
Let’s look at some of the many benefits of developing your inner skills through meditation:
* Stress reduction and deep relaxation, * Better health and immune function, * Deeper connection to “who you are” and “what you are here to do,” * The ability to let go of what no longer serves you * The ability to release negative states, past pain, and worry about the future * Attunement to inner guidance so you sense your best next step * Relaxed confidence and enthusiasm for where you are headed * Improved communication and ease in your relationships, and * Empowerment to live your dreams and achieve peak performance.
Let’s explore the five essential mediation skills that give you these benefits.
1. Self-observation: When you meditate, you learn to witness your intentions, thoughts, feelings, sensations, and experiences without being caught up in, identified with, attached to, or overwhelmed by them.
You come to understand that you have intentions, thoughts, feelings, sensations, and experiences, but these do not define who you are. You are responsible for your actions, but these do not define you either. You are “something else” altogether. You are a witnessing presence who can inhabit anything.
Self-observation also enables you to understand inner cause and effect–how your intentions, thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and actions shape your life experiences. As you better understand inner cause and effect you can more effectively step into your life experiences to shift them in line with what you truly desire.
2. Detachment: As you observe yourself on the inside, the attitude you take toward yourself is absolutely important. In meditation, you learn to be honest with yourself and gentle with yourself. You learn to recognize and accept whatever you see without judging it as “good” or “bad.”
You learn to witness everything without attaching yourself to it, without thinking that anything makes you worthy or unworthy. You are perfect just the way you are. It’s interesting that when you realize that, you initiate the most positive inner change. In meditation, you release your self-judgments and clear your mental filters, so you experience life in a more relaxed, inclusive, fluid, and joyous way.
Detachment enables you to let go of that which no longer serves you so you can act in a way which expresses your authentic path, essence, and purpose. Detachment actually enables you to experience life more richly and directly by releasing the negative thoughts and “bad” feelings that interfere with your ability to be present and enjoy with what is happening now.
3. Discernment: As you clear the clutter and depression of self-judgment, past pain, and worries about the future, you open up to present opportunities and sense inner guidance that tells you how to act on them. You improve your ability to intuit your authentic path. You become tuned into using your inner body to sense what you are here to do now. You also learn to sense what is “off track” from your authentic path. Meditation develops mental precision and the ability to discern fine detail.
4. Choice: As you witness inner cause and effect, you come to understand that by choosing different intentions, thoughts, feelings, and actions you can have different experiences.
Through meditation you also discover a natural, relaxed, positive, clear, and coherent state of being that is always available to you–a Core Energy State. You learn that you can access this powerful state no matter what is happening around you. The more familiar you become with this state, the more easily you’ll recognize when you’ve wandered away from it–and you’ll have the inner skills to return to it.
Shifting to a Core Energy State is like shifting into your home frequency, your most essential vibration, and to what is aligned with that. From a Core Energy State you will more easily choose your best intentions. You will more easily follow your authentic path by choosing to grow your unique gifts and talents to share them with others.
Check out this guided meditation exercise to help you shift into a Core Energy State:
5. Focus in this Moment: Finally and, perhaps, most importantly, meditation develops your ability to stick to your choices in the present moment, especially when challenges arise. You’ll be empowered to choose where you’re coming right now and to manage your energy and attention, so that you realize what you truly desire.
Not only will you know what is right for you, but you’ll be able to maintain your positive focus in the face of whatever comes your way. In that way, you become a conscious participant in the creation of your life rather than a victim of circumstances thrown about by the conditions of life.
The key to focus is to stay in this moment. Meditation trains you to be present with what is happening now rather than being distracted by the pains of the past or worries about the future. You’ll learn to calmly center yourself in your body and clearly sense what Life is guiding you to do right now.
Through meditation you learn to appreciate the perfection in what is actually happening, so you more deeply enjoy our life. When each of us discover and share that love of life, that inner spark, we all change for the better.