Happiness is something everyone wants. The framers of our constitution may look like they hadn’t smiled in weeks (poor George Washington had those wooden teeth to deal with) but adding the words, “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” to the constitution was truly an inspirational moment in history. But for those of you who need more concrete examples on why you should kick out your inner grouch and develop a more joyful outlook, here are the Top Ten Reasons to Erase Negativity and Enjoy a Happier, More Optimistic Life.
- Better health. It’s no longer woo woo science. Doctors, psychologists and psychiatrists agree that folks who adopt a happier, more optimistic mindset, enjoy better health and recover quicker when they do get sick. Studies indicate that optimistic folks even catch fewer colds. Do yourself a favor, save the money you’d spend on tissues and cold remedies and carry a smile around instead.
- Longer life span. That’s right, happier people enjoy greater longevity. It may seem like grouchy people are living longer, but it simply isn’t true. It only SEEMS that way because every moment with a curmudgeon seems to last for days. Unless you want people cheering when they read your obituary, why not follow Scrooge’s more enlightened example and adopt a happier life before it’s too late?
- Greater achievement. It makes sense that folks who see their glass as half full are more likely to see opportunities and have the tenacity it takes to achieve better results at work and school.
- Stronger relationships. Think about it. Who would you rather be around someone who is happy or someone who is a negative Nelly or Grouchy George? I could cite statistics, but is that really necessary? It’s a no-brainer. Happier people have better relationships.
- The ability to develop greater appreciation. Happy folks see their blessings and by bringing a focus on gratitude to the forefront of their minds they create more opportunities to enjoy a happier life.
- Become a magnet for better opportunities. In the law of attraction the concept of like attracts like is mentioned time and again. If you attract what you focus on it makes more sense good things follow positive thoughts and negative energy is a poop magnet.
- Better appearance. Happy folks smile more and a big smile makes everyone look better. I agree with Roald Dahl who said: II “A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”
- Reduce stress. Stress takes a toll on our bodies, mind and emotions. Researchers believe that reducing stress is a major component in leading happier, healthier lives and plays a major role in getting a better night’s sleep.
- Increased creativity. Optimistic folks look for solutions in clever ways and their more innovative thoughts activate more areas of their brains in their decision-making process. When you are negative and give up hope, your options and your ability to feel happy and empowered is shut down.
- Optimistic individuals are great role models. Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” By living an optimistic life you can be a catalyst for creating a better world. How awesome is that?
Roald Dahl said it best.
“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine
Sally Marks is the president of Marks Public Relations and an award-winning journalist, screenwriter and television writer. Marks and Jacqueline Howard co-authored the popular self-help book, Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within and offer motivational workshops to businesses, schools and organizations on self-improvement topics. Visit www.EraseNegativity.com for more information.