As you age, you sometimes become jaded because you’ve been through so much. However, it’s important to realize that the same attention you pay to negative things can be better spent refocusing your thoughts on the positive. There is no point holding on to negative images when they only create more self-doubt, guilt and suffering in your life. Can you let these thoughts go, allowing yourself to move in the direction of happiness, joy and optimism? Positive people are able to maintain their focus no matter what the circumstance or situation. They stay optimistic by creating personal stepping stones to help get them past their occasional stumbling blocks. They are able to do this because they possess the following characteristics, which are easily learned and, through awareness, you can indoctrinate into your life.
1. They have a set of values and do not compromise their integrity to get what they want. Rather they maintain their strong principles and beliefs, which keep them feeling good about themselves and what they are doing.
2. Positive people hang around with a network of like-minded individuals who support, encourage and energize them to stay motivated and accountable.
3. The key to staying healthy and keeping one’s mind alert is a willingness to constantly learn and grow. The most positive people are the ones who keep their knowledge base open so they never stagnate, physically or mentally.
4. It’s important to project confidence wherever you go. Positive people keep doubt and insecurity out of their realm of consciousness, believing in themselves and their potential.
5. Positive people step out of their comfort zone to take healthy risks, resulting in more opportunities and better outcomes. They are not afraid to try new techniques, new tools, and practice different strategies, with the intent of reaching greater heights.
6. Habits that become part of your subconscious mind are no longer questioned. Optimism is a way of thinking that positive people internalize.
7. Positive people have a compelling vision and plan for their future. They have a clear blueprint or outline of what they want and everyday they do something to bring it closer to reality.
8. It’s always good to believe that it is within your control to shape the outcome of your life and that you are not the victim of chance circumstance. Positive people are willing to put in the effort necessary to make things happen for their greater good.
How many can you relate to?
You can’t change your past, but you can change and embrace the future with openness and optimism. All it takes is a willingness to try a new way of thinking and perhaps a new way of “being”. What better way to live your life than by feeling good, hopeful and optimistic about what lies ahead!
Author Bio: Amy Sherman, MA, is the founder of the Baby Boomers’ Network (http://www.yourbabyboomersnetwork.com) and the author of Distress-Free Aging Transformation Package. She can be reached at email@example.com.