Time is a constant commodity that will not wait for anyone. It enables us to achieve our goals. However, the lack of time management can bring disastrous results in anyone’s professional and personal life. Here are nine essential time management tips to get and keep you on track!
1. Limit Interruptions. We all experience interruptions; the phone that doesn’t stop ringing or people drop in unannounced. Interruptions adversely impact productivity and results. Try planning and devoting time on a daily and weekly basis that doesn’t allow for interruptions. Use this uninterrupted time for strategic planning, problem solving, decision making, and coming up with new ideas and solutions.
2. Take Your Time Seriously! Time and money are both very important for your personal and professional life. Often times we focus mostly on personal and business financials but fail to give deserved attention on how we spend our time. Time should be allocated appropriately with a strong focus on achieving results with the time you spend. Results can come in the form of strategic planning, thinking of creative solutions or simply do nothing so you can re-energize.
3. Establish Your Goals. Establish goals in order to help direct your decisions and activities. What do you intend to achieve? Your goals should help direct how you spend your time as well as help you recognize goal irrelevant activities.
4. Narrow Your Focus! Focus on a selected few priorities versus scattering your attention and energy on too many. Focus is crucial for effectively managing your time. You will be more productive if you focus on fewer priorities at once.
5. Prioritize Daily! At the start of your day, write down a ”to-do” list and prioritize these action items. You are encouraged to list these in order of priority. Throughout the day, take care of the most important tasks first without getting distracted. Prioritizing will help you achieve your goals with less effort. For prioritizing to be meaningful, your goals and objectives must be clear.
6. Learn How to Delegate. You are wasting time if you frequently perform tasks that can be delegated to others. Some people fail to delegate because they think no one else can do the job as good as they can. This is usually not true. Let go and hand the job over to someone else who can do it for you. Leverage your time; delegate basic or routine tasks so you can have sufficient time to focus on what’s most important.
7. Stop Procrastination. Putting things off for another time only waste time as well as your energy. When we procrastinate- we only spend time thinking about the things that need to be done and then beat ourselves up for not accomplishing those things. It’s a vicious cycle. Put an end to it and just do it. You will be glad you did.
8. Learn How to Say No. Do you have a hard time saying “No”? Well, you are not alone. Saying “No” is very difficult for many people. There is usually an internal battle we experience upon deciding to say no or yes. Always consider if there is indeed a better way to use your time. If there is, say No, and if you provide a reason keep it brief. Also – don’t say you are Sorry because you shouldn’t be. Your time is yours!
9. Take charge! Decide how you want to spend your time and use it effectively.
You can be on top of things as long as you practice these nine essential time management tips. You don’t have to live in chaos. Remember that you are in control!
Author Bio: Alaisha Capers is a certified Life Coach and the owner of Life Works Success Coaching in the Washington, D.C. metro area. She helps clients easily fill in the gap between where they are now and where they want to be. She helps her clients create the life they want because they realize they need a change and are ready to experience results. She offers flexible options for sessions which can be conducted face-to-face, via telephone or Skype. Visit her website and blog Life Coaching, Life Guidance, Development, Self-Improvement, Transition
Article Source: http://www.amazines.com/Self_Improvement/article_detail.cfm/6149301?articleid=6149301